NCLEX Review: NCLEX Preparation Module
Welcome to the BrainyNurses.com weekly NCLEX Review!
To receive email updates when new information is posted, please click on the link below to be added to our mailing list. You will also receive free flashcards in each email for your personal studying.
This week, we will be covering the NCLEX Preparation Module from our Online Review. The topics covered in this review are Preparing Yourself for the Exam, Triage Questions, Maslow’s Hierarchy, and a Sample NCLEX Question.
Preparing Yourself for the Exam
- Think and look positive on the day of exam. Prepare your brain by studying and your psyche by what you tell yourself. Groom for success on that day and believe in yourself. Remember, you are in control of your thoughts and your success.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before the exam.
- Feed your body by eating breakfast on the day of the exam and limit your caffeine intake.
- Keep your composure, stay positive during the test, and answer each and every question to the best of your ability. Take deep breaths when you get nervous and force yourself to relax. Don’t question yourself.
The questions will focus on the following:
- Safe and effective care: This is collaborating and providing for care. Remember the importance of hand washing, call bells, bed position and infection control.
- Physiologic integrity: Utilizes Maslow’s hierarchy and the ABCs in the nursing process. It is providing comfort, ADLs, giving medications and performing treatments.
- Psychosocial integrity: Promotion of emotional, mental and social well-being. Using therapeutic communication is vital. Focus on the feelings of the client and family.
- Health promotion and maintenance: Development of a plan of care to assist clients to their maximum potential. Focus on prevention and early detection of diseases and teaching plans. Also includes pharmacology and physiology.
It is helpful to remember a stoplight when you are answering questions related to triage. Little reminders like this will be useful during the long exam!
Below is a flashcard to help you study!
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs may be used to determine priority. Physiologic and safety needs must be met first.
- Physiologic includes need for food, shelter, water, sleep, oxygen, and sexual expression.
- Safety is avoiding harm, having security and order, and physical safety.
- Love and belonging is giving and receiving affection and companionship, identification with a group, respect of others, self esteem, and success in work.
- Self-actualization is fulfillment of potential.
ABCD’s may also be used to determine priority.
Sample NCLEX Question
Check out this sample NCLEX Question and how Cindy will teach you to work through the steps to get to the right answer!
- Attack #1: Topic – Priority Invervention for head injury patient
- Attack #3: Assessment vs Implementation – all responses are implementation
- Attack #4: Maslow – not relevant
- Attack #5: Priority – The nurse needs to identify that the s/s exhibited by the patient is a critical change in status. The nurse must contact the physician so further medical interventions can take place.
- Attack #6: Expected Outcome – Responses #2,and #3 may help the patient momentarily, however it does not significantly improve the ICP.
- Notifying the physician is the best response.
We don’t just give you the answer, but show how you can apply your learning! And know how to react during the NCLEX exam!
Want to see more?
Thanks for taking the time to read this article on the NCLEX Preparation Module from our online NCLEX review. If you like this content, please share it with your classmates and follow us on our social media platforms. The flashcards are also available as pins on Pinterest for your personalized NCLEX review boards!
To be notified of new blog posts and receive additional free flashcards, click the button above and provide us your email address! We promise not to sell your personal information or flood your inbox with emails every day. On average, we only send out one email every week!
If you have any feedback please send us an email.
Just want the textbook? Get it immediately here.
Thank you again and have a great day!
Become the Nurse You Want to Be