Professonal Development and Legal Issues NCLEX Review
Thank you for taking the time to read our article on Professional Development during your NCLEX preparation.
Do you consider yourself someone who prepares well?
Have you been wondering how to begin getting ready for the NCLEX?
BrainyNurses.com was established to allow you to prepare for the NCLEX at your convenience, in your own home. Our program has over 53 HD videos and a 300 page textbook to ensure that you are ready when the big day comes. All for half the price of other companies. And you get full access for 3 months.
Doesn’t it sound nice to be this prepared?
To receive email updates when new information is posted, please click on the link below to be added to our mailing list. You will also receive free flashcards in each email for your personal studying.
This week, we will be covering the Professional Development Module from our Online NCLEX Review. The topics covered in this review are Dealing With Problems, Legal and Reportable Issues, The Board of Nursing, and a Sample NCLEX Question.
Dealing With Problems
You will at some have problems in the work place that you must deal with. This is regrettable. But you can learn how to deal with it.
Sometimes you may observe inappropriate behavior. You have likely covered these types of behaviors in your school. But, there are many types of behavior that may occur in the future. There are 3 methods that you need to know for NCLEX with this subject.
- “Report them” to the nursing supervisor if they are doing something illegal. If they are doing something that is not illegal but bothers you as a staff member and you “tattle” to the supervisor, then this is not appropriate.
- “Confront them” if there is immediate danger to a client or another staff member. Confrontation causes damage to the relationship between coworkers and can affect credibility.
- “Delay the discussion” until a more appropriate time if the behavior is not illegal or dangerous.
Impaired nurses or any suspicious act must be reported to a nursing supervisor. If drug or alcohol use, the physiologic impact of the illness on the nurse’s practice must be evaluated. Can the nurse still provide safe and quality care?
Legal and Reportable Issues
There are procedures that need to be followed during the collection of evidence
- Cut along seams, not through any evidence.
- Chain of custody log must be maintained and all evidence handled by proper authorities.
- Place all items in a labeled and sealed bag.
- Reportable issues
- Situations related to child or elder abuse or neglect.
- Gunshot wounds and crimes.
- Certain infectious diseases.
- Never document their existence and don’t chart that you fill one out.
- Never state an error occurred.
- Always notify the provider and the supervisor when an incident report was completed.
Professional Development – The Board of Nursing
Board of Nursing sets statutes such as license requirements. The provide a regulatory board to oversee nursing practice. And disciplines professionals for violations.
Some potential violations that may require the Board of Nursing to take action:
- Habitual substance abuse or other behaviors affecting practice
- Fraud or deceit in obtaining a nursing license
- Unprofessional conduct
- Criminal felony conviction
The Board determines the property rights a professional has to a license and determines discipline which can occur against the license.
When discipline is going to take place, the nurse must be notified and have the opportunity to respond.
Possible sanctions by the Board of Nursing
- License may be revoked in the interest of public safety.
- License may be suspended.
- Conditions may be placed on the license.
- Nurse may enter into a consent agreement agreeing to limitations and supervision of practice.
Sample NCLEX Question
We’ll wrap up this Professional Development post with a sample NCLEX question for your review.
We are always asked how we have questions during our review. And how it is different from other programs.
This question is at the end of the video module. Each question includes a portion where Cindy tells you how to approach the question. And explains the answer.
See this below!
Thanks for taking the time to read this article on the Professional Development Module from our online NCLEX review. If you like this content, please share it with your classmates and follow us on our social media platforms. The flashcards are also available as pins on Pinterest for your personalized NCLEX review boards!
If you have any feedback please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Become the Nurse You Want to Be